Monday, September 20, 2010

Breaking Up or Down with Running

Running and I got into a fight this weekend.

I'm sure we'll both get over it soon enough.

If it wasn't for the five races I'm signed up for and the five friends I'd be disappointing, I would be seriously considering breaking up with running right now.

I'm going to stay at Karate's place for a few days and let my muscles recover. And think. Think about my training, what I did wrong, or right, why running and my stomach seem to battle at the worst possible moments and what exactly a PR means. To both of us. I'm going to think about the races I've done and remember my runners high. And I'm going to wonder why I'm feeling the exact opposite of that. I'm going to talk to my heart and brain to see that they think about this whole thing. They so rarely agree that I wonder if it's worth it.

I hope running does some thinking too. About how much I care. How much I've given up and how I've changed because of him. I hope he understands that there are so many factors that go into every step of every mile. And sometimes every step is a victory in and of itself. It doesn't matter if it's a running step, a walking step or a step off of the course to breathe. Running should also maybe send a text to my stomach and my lungs to see whose brilliant idea it was to gang up on me at mile 11. Seriously, running should look into that because it was just a cruel thing they did.

I'm sure we'll both get over it soon enough. If the past 18 months have proven anything, it's that we can't stay apart for too long. We have an event in two weeks in New York.

No comments:

Post a Comment